For nearly forty years, I’ve been tasting the grit and carving through prime loam; during this tenure, I’ve watched our niche counter-culture transition into a stupendous global industry. Lustrous marketing falsehoods have dominated the narrative for decades. They usually cite Marin County in the seventies, venerating the 'Klunker' epoch when denim-clad pioneers plunged down Mount Tamalpais on repurposed utility bikes. I hold the Marin cohort in high regard. I salute the VCCP (Velo Cross Club Parisien) for their mid-century French off-road exploits; however, our records are categorically erroneous regarding the actual discovery of the sport.

These soldiers were the authentic vanguard of off-road cycling. Whenever I lament a creaking bottom-bracket or a corrugated trail section, I conjure the image of the Iron Riders dragging steel through a Montana tempest. This is the true orientation of our sport’s lineage.
We are navigating the "Reach Recession." Both riders and designers have realized that steering a bicycle with the turning radius of a transport vessel is a wretched endeavor on serpentine singletrack. The industry hit a definitive ceiling. Currently, reach dimensions are stabilizing—usually between 485mm and 505mm for a large chassis.
The transition is irrefutable. I observed peers acquire elongating bikes, only to witness them struggle to navigate those distended rigs through acute turns. Playfulness was sacrificed for high-speed composure. This era of stabilization suggests that excessive length is an operational liability. Now, the new frontier of discovery has pivoted vertically. Yet, suspended perilously near the rocks is the rear derailleur. It also negates the risk of smashing your drivetrain. Why the stagnation? Two words: parasitic drag.
Internal mechanisms generate friction. You see a playground; I see a colossal economic engine.
Destination riders in places like Moab or Bentonville don’t just camp. Dirt is no longer merely soil. It is a highly lucrative asset class.
Younger riders find a different utility. In Washington, I met a local youth who called the Tehaleh system a "mental health lifeline." Amidst modern economic duress, dropping into a flow state is his sanctuary. For those minutes, the world pauses. Mountain biking is an evolving tapestry. It’s woven from military endurance, obdurate engineering, and the desperate human requirement for woodland peace.